🇬🇧 The wedding wager by Eva Devon

 The wager was a lady, and not just any lady. 

 


 

Title: The wedding wager

Author: Eva Devon

Release date: October 2021

 I received ARC copy (without cover image)


Story: 

All Lady Victoria Kirby wants is to dig in the dirt, take notations, and record history, thank you very much. Bumbling through ballrooms and getting disdained by the ton for her less than ideal looks, on the other hand, is the last thing she wants. But her reckless father has a different idea for her future when he puts up the ultimate ante—her hand in marriage—and loses. Over her dead body.

The Duke of Chase cannot bear to see a woman misused. After all, he saw that often enough as a child. So when he’s witness to a marquess gambling away his daughter to a lecher of a man, he has no choice but to step in and rescue her. Lady Victoria has a reputation for being as tart as a lemon and as bitter as one, too. So, he may have just found the perfect wife to keep a promise he made to himself long ago--to never have an heir. With her, surely, he'll never be tempted to take her to bed and break that promise.

But when he meets the wild, witty intelligent young lady he’s bound to marry, he knows trouble is headed his way... And everything he ever swore to uphold may very well come undone, especially his heart.
 

_____________________

Lady Victoria was going to be an adventure. And that was either the very best or very worst of things. 

Opinion: 


Oh, I loved this story. It's really nicely and smooth written, that you have to fall in love wit main heroes.
---------
Hero intervenes in a bet that heroine's father made- he put Victoria on wager. Hero- Derek likes to help women in need so he steps up and wins the bet.

But he had another purpose: Victoria would be perfect wife for him, because he doesn't want true marriage or children and he will let his wife do what she wants.
Victoria is shocked by the bet but agrees to terms of their marriage.

They become friends but slowly feelings start to burst between them. Will Derek fight them or give in?

-------------
Story was great, I read it in one sitting and I really liked both characters. They were strong and friendly, ready to help everyone around them.

This was my first book from this author, but definitely not my last.


I DID HAVE SOME ISSUES THOUGH... 

1.  NAMING HER UGLY. 

Ok, this depends by the persons perspective, but she was described as "ugly" numerous times. Especially by Derek- and yet he felt lust for her... 

And I saw the cover- wouldn't it be better that the womens face is "covered" or rotated in dark if you call it ugly? That cover woman is not ugly to me. :)

 

2. Divorces? In that era? I don't think so. Duels yes. :) But divorces? Aaa. 

 

3. Father- daughter duo. First, he would do everything for her. Then she puts her as a bet prize? And not only that, but the minute she's out of the house- married, he gives away all of her collection of treasures? 

Weird. 

I agree with my fellow booknerd (my book twin Sophie)- here's her opinion on her blog: 

The wedding wager /slovenianbookworm 

 ___________

Some quotes I highlighted: 


________________________
“I do not have the mind of a man,” she ground out. “I have the mind of a woman. All women have such minds. We are simply not allowed to use them.”

“Victoria, I shall always be ready to stand by your side when need requires it.” 


She did not have time for love. She would not be distracted from her purpose. Pleasure was fine. Love?

Love would surely be a disaster.  


Rating: 

I gave it 5 stars, because I really loved the story

(Besided that ugliness).  

5 stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

 

I received ARC copy from Netgalley. All opinions are my own.


Ni komentarjev:

Objavite komentar

🇸🇮 Drobni tisk

  "Če je tak občutek biti ob osebi, ki je čisto sonce, bom z veseljem sprejel opeklino."   Naslov: Drobni tisk Avtorica: Lauren As...